Thursday, April 8, 2010

A Twist in the Tale of My Life!

I don't know exactly how to put this.

I want to be...

errr...

I'm going to be ...

ahem...

"I . AM . A . WRITER!"

Yuh-huh! That's what I am (among other things).
I have always felt like one. But from now on I plan on acting like one - by writing!

Tonight I am a very tired writer, since I have been moonlighting as a mother :) Anyway I just wanted to quickly let you know that my creative kick start is to be found at Paula Yoo's website www.paulayoo.com. I will be participating in NaPiBoWriWee 2010, which is a challenge to write 7 picture books in 7 days (May 1-7). I am absolutely thrilled that I stumbled across Paula's website via the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators website www.scbwi.org. It's a great opportunity, perfect timing and a chance to put pen to paper in a serious way. With a bit of luck I'll be headed to the SCBWI conference in LA this July/August with 7 little drafts for picture books in my hand. How exciting!

For the past week I have been scribbling and scrawling a bunch of words that may or may not help me to write my first books. It feels like a big emptying of the mind. I have often thought about writing a children's book but never actually started one. I can tell you, I am quickly realising just how involved it is. I have NO IDEA how I'm supposed to write one per day in May, but I am busily brainstorming and will try my very best.

For now, I bid you goodnight. Time to empty the cache and reboot.

1 comment:

Sally said...

How exciting!!! I have so much confidence that you'll do really well. You're so crafty with words and have such a great sense of humour and view of the world. I know that I would be keen to share the texts that you create with my children.
GOOD LUCK!