Friday, August 20, 2010

All-You-Can-Read Smörgåsbord of SCBWI LA 2010 Summer Conference Notes

I have so many fond memories of my first SCBWI International Conference. I would like to thank everyone who said hello, took an elevator with me, sat beside me at workshops, ate lunch with me, exchanged cards, held my youngest babe and danced with me at the SCBWI LA Summer Conference in 2010.

With fellow West Australian SCBWI pal, illustrator - Samantha Hughes

Meeting the inspirational Jon Scieszka

Most of all, thanks to Lin Oliver and Stephen Mooser for starting the whole darn thing so many years ago. So many people have benefited because of your initiative. I am so very appreciative of your efforts and feel very honoured to be part of this organisation.

I hope the moons align and I find myself at the conference again next year. If not, I will hold back my tears and connect with the amazing Team Blog. You guys rock!

Below you will find links to all of my (kinda rough but factual) notes from the conference. I have transcribed these whilst holidaying in north America with my family. I'll be back on Australian shores in mid-September.

Enjoy! Please feel free to comment and share your thoughts.

All the best,

Caz


Friday July 30th, 2010

Jon Scieszka: Tales of a Picture Book Writer: Do's, Don'ts, Maybes

M.T. Anderson - The End of all our Exploring: The Journey of Narrative

From Your House to My House: What Makes Me Choose Your Book? [Editor Panel]

Mac Barnett & Steven Malk - 5 Lessons from Classic Picture Books that Can Help You Launch Your Career

Loren Long - The Picture Book: My Two Cents Worth


Saturday July 31st, 2010

Gordon Korman - Writing for Kids: A Three-Quarter Life's Work

Literary Agents View the Marketplace

Jon Scieszka & Mac Barnett - What is Going on with Boys and Reading?

Rachel Vail - Hearing your Characters: Creating Distinctive/Contrasting Voices for Each of Your Characters

Gail Carson Levine - Sweat and Magic


Sunday August 1st, 2010

Why Narrative Nonfiction is Hotter Than Ever

Marion Dane Bauer - Basics of Writing a Picture Book

M.T. Anderson - Literary Experiment in Books for Children

Gennifer Choldenko - Kill the Bunnies: Writing Novels for Today's Kids


Monday August 2nd, 2010

Rachel Vail - School, Drool and Other Daily Disasters: Finding the Humour and Heart in Middle Grade Novels

Paul Fleischman - Surviving the Novel

A View From the Top: Four Publishers Discuss our Industry

Gennifer Choldenko - Rewrytz: How to be Your Own Best Editor

Jill Alexander & Michael Bourret - Your Manuscript is Ready, But Are You?

1 comment:

Melissa Gill said...

Thanks for taking so much time to put together these notes. Hope you're having fun visiting here.