Thursday, July 22, 2010

Two more sleeps in Perth...

Yep, it's really time to get serious about packing, tidying up loose ends and enjoying sleeping in our comfy, cosy beds ... we won't be back in them for a while.

It's only one week until the SCBWI Summer Conference 2010. Already I have two meets lined up! The first one is on Thursday with the Australian SCBWI crew, the second one is Saturday night with Paula Yoo and fellow NaPiBoWriWee participants. I can't tell you how thrilled I am to be meeting everyone next week! My head is going to be spinning.

I have printed out some copies of my works-in-progress. One of them is going to be critiqued by an industry representative at the conference - great opportunity. I hope to share the others with fellow conference-goers at the informal critiques.

In the meantime, I've started work on a new picture book inspired by the beautiful, untouched bushlands near my home. Unfortunately they won't be left untouched for too much longer. Now it's time to problem-solve this story. I really enjoy the challenge. So much to think about, so many possible approaches.

Which picture books have conservation as a central theme? The Waterhole by Graeme Base is a favourite. Have you read any that were well done?

Here's hoping I get a chance to blog a little while the conference is underway. Wish me luck! In the meantime, I wanted to post a link to this blog by a grumpy literary agent - it's crazy funny Slushpile Hell. Enjoy!

See you back soon.

Caz

3 comments:

Sally said...

I'll keep thinking about it - books with conservation as the central theme.
The Waterhole is an awesome book. I read it to E. whenever he doesn't turn the tap off properly!!!

Melissa Gill said...

I wish I could think of picture books with conservation as a theme. They certainly need more. I read a book called Operation Redwoods about Redwood conservation in Northern CA, but it's MG.

Have a great time on your trip and at the conference.

Paula Parmesan said...

It was WONDERFUL meeting you in real life! I hope you had a blast at SCBWI and please keep me posted on your writing!!!! xoxo Paula