Sunday, July 4, 2010

Getting set to go...

It won't be long now until I'm sitting studiously at the SCBWI Summer Conference, pen and paper poised! I have been looking at the schedule, trying to figure out which talks I cannot miss. It is really difficult - especially as a beginner. There is so much to learn! It's especially hard because I don't know what kind of writer I am. I have drafted several picture books, but now a little idea for a chapter book is whispering in my ear! Pssst...

I submitted assignment number one of my writing course this evening. I do feel very clever. It has been more than three and a half years since I last did an assignment! It was a nice little introductory piece. I had to introduce myself, talk about my motivation for writing for children and set a few goals for the next year and beyond. I thought it was strangely simple, but I realised after a while that although I had set out to write in an informal tone ('...as if chatting to a friend,'), I had gotten all academic in the midst of it. So I went back and did a bit of editing and made it sound more like me. I am guessing that is a lesson in 'voice'? Anyway, it was quite therapeutic. It made me think about why I want to write, and I decided that I have some pretty good reasons.

Well, it's time to knock off! Another day of reading and writing to look forward to tomorrow...

Take care,
Caz

No comments: